In groups (4-5 individuals per group), students will present a case study of a particular social issue in the Australian context. The case study of the social issue could relate to one of the following broad issues outlined below or you can choose a social issue of interest to your group. Some possible suggestions include:
- Aged care
- Out of home care
- Domestic violence
- Mental health
- Indigenous health
Your case study should include the following information:
- Historical overview of the issue
- Current context of the issue
- Outline of the particular discourses in which the issue is discussed
- Identification of the strategies, programs and/ or policies that have been raised for addressing the issue
- Suggestions for appropriate alternative strategies – if appropriate
Students will be given time during class from Session 3 to begin researching their chosen social issue. This will involve searching databases for relevant books, journal articles and e-resources.
One report per group.
Each student will submit an individual critical reflection about their experience of working in project management groups/social work teams. The reflection will draw on the student’s personal experience, experience of this group project, group work literature and social work literature. The assessment is also an avenue for you to provide your thoughts and ideas about your future professional development as an individual social worker moving into the social work field.