Analyze the development of Chinese government from the Three Dynasties (Xia, Shang, and Zhou), Qin unification, Han consolidation, through the Period of Division, Sui reunification, and Tang empire.
Development of Chinese government from the Three Dynasties
Firstly, analyze the development of Chinese government from the Three Dynasties (Xia, Shang, and Zhou), Qin unification, Han consolidation, through the Period of Division, Sui reunification, and Tang empire.
Secondly, Include dates for each period. Within a chronological framework, address the following issues:
Thirdly, What was the structure of government?
Fourthly, How did Confucian and Legalist philosophy bolster the state?
Further, Who were the political elite?
Additionally, How did the experience of North China differ from South China?
Moreover, What was the relationship between the Buddhist religion and the government?
Finally, how would you characterize the development of the state from the earliest monarchs through the middle imperial period?
1. Write an essay of about 1,500 words (+ or – 250 words, single-spaced!) on this theme, showing you have digested lectures, textbooks, discussions, primary sources, visuals, and presentations. The textbook used was Chinese Civilization: A Sourcebook by Patricia Buckley Ebrey 2nd Edition
2. Give your essay an analytical title (“Test 1 Essay” does not count as an analysis). Hint: always give historical time frame + articulate the basic question.
3. Include footnotes in Chicago style for all ideas you borrow. Use the sources of the course, in balanced fashion; do not rely on outside research.
4. Insert a Bibliography at the end. Bibliography examples for the above, in Chicago style:
5. The best answers will be historical, organized, and analytical, with introduction and conclusion. I expect you to think about your answers individually, and that no two essays will be alike.