Describe a conversation you were in recently and, using that conversation as the example, demonstrate how it did or did not follow the five-step interpersonal conversation process. Be sure your answer shows a clear understanding of the process.
Conversation you were in recently and, using that conversation
1. Describe a conversation you were in recently and, using that conversation as the example, demonstrate how it did or did not follow the five-step interpersonal conversation process. Also, be sure your answer shows a clear understanding of the process. (10 points)
2. Consider a relationship you are in currently or one from the past (a friendship or a romantic relationship, not family). Using that relationship as the example:
Firstly, Demonstrate how it provided some of the advantages of interpersonal relationships.
Secondly, Demonstrate how it led to you experiencing some disadvantages of interpersonal relationships.
Thirdly, Relate those advantages and disadvantages to Social Exchange theory and Equity theory.
Finally, explain how Social Exchange theory and Equity theory influenced keeping or dissolving the relationship.
Lastly, Be sure your answers show a clear understanding of all elements. (16 points)
3. Explain why the defensive strategy of using “you” messages is an unproductive conflict management technique. Provide an example of a “you” message and then change it to an “I” message. Additionally, your answer should clearly demonstrate understanding. (Devito page 171). (16 points)
4. Respond to the 12 statements on page 199 in your text by choosing True or False.
Give the results of each of the questions (T or F) and identify your strengths and focus areas. Additionally, Discuss skills or competencies you can learn or increase using that would enable you to improve your abilities in the four approaches to leadership. The answer should include at least four skills or competencies you can use to enhance your leadership abilities. (16 points)
5. Describe a conflict you were in recently. Furthermore, Demonstrate how your family history or emotional state influenced your choice of conflict management strategy/ies for that conflict. Also, Demonstrate how choosing a different strategy could have been more productive or demonstrate why the strategy/ies you used was/were the best for the situation (Devito pages 167-175). (16 points)
6. Based on your self-analysis (from the homework assignment), what is the conflict style you use most frequently? Give an example to demonstrate a typical situation in which you would use it, and then demonstrate how a different style would have led to a different outcome and how that outcome would have been better or worse (Devito pages 165-167). (16 points)
7. Using an example (not used previously on this test), demonstrate how you have applied one communication concept from the course to your life. (10 points]