This is a paper that focuses on the high incidence of seasonal part-time and casual employment of a sector. The paper also provides information on how to access the e-book assignment.
High incidence of seasonal part-time and casual employment of a sector
In the form of an essay, there are three areas to discuss:
1. To what extent do you agree with the statement that the sector is characterized by a high incidence of seasonal, part-time and casual employment?
• Explore the benfits/issues in those sectors in the literature and justify your arguments/agreements with references!
2. In contrast to the statement, also identify one or two full-time, permanent jobs in tourism, hospitality or event management recently advertised in Australia, which might be of interest to you in the future. Briefly summarise
the type of qualifications and experience required for those positions.
• What would be your ideal job in your chosen sector of the industry? Look up the add, what essential qualification and skills are for that job?
3. To secure such a position, describe the career related activities a student like you could engage in while you are studying at Latrobe to secure a similar job in the future on completion of your degree.
• How can you engage now – how can you prepare yourself to get there!
To provide information for your essay students should log into the LMS site for this subject and also look at the e-book in the Assessment section, which is, entitled “Career Opportunities – Resources for Essay”. This e-book provides a variety of resources related to the various careers within the tourism, hospitality and events sectors.
Unusually for a university essay, students are permitted to use the term “I” in this essay sparingly and only when relating to career section. However, in all other aspects of the essay students should use formal language. Lastly, should avoid using casual language such as slang and abbreviations. For example, instead of saying, “don’t” use “do not”; instead of saying, “wouldn’t,” say “would not”, etc.